Thursday, December 21, 2006

Channuka oh, Chanukkah......


Yes, I wrote it differently, just so you'd notice.... I don't really get it. Why can't there just be ONE way to write Chanukkah, or Channukah or whatever and let it BE that way!!!

And speaking of Channukah.... I just love this Yom Tov. I won't say 'holiday', which I normally would, because it just hit me..... when I say that Chanukkah is a 'holiday' I'm almost equating it to, lehavdil, christmas- and christmas is not even close to what Chanukkah is!


There are some things in life that just get me in certain ways. Like, I have this special closeness to 'Shema', the Tefillah. Yeah, I know it might sound weird, but so does talking to yourself sound weird,(until you try it, that is!!). No, really, when I say 'Shema' I get this kind of overwhelming feeling of.....love, I guess. I can't really explain it... but anyway, that's the kind of feeling I get when I think of the approaching yom tov of Channukah and when Chanukkah is actually here. The warmth, the delicious delectable delights, and the lights... who can miss the lights!?!


Chanukkah really is a Festival of Lights, and not just because the Menorah. Just look around you. There's the obvious- the candles on the Menorah, the blazing lights around the house, cuz there's a party going on, the lights on the stove. Yeah, I know these are not the usual lights you think about.. but, hey, they are lights after all.... And then, there's the lights in the eyes of children and adults alike. I just love the way the children's eyes light up when they get their presents, or are able to join the party. It can make all the work worth it..

And the adults.. sitting around, enjoying family time together, having fun, laughing at jokes and memories... not only do their eyes shine, but there's a shine to their faces, too.


And then, there's the other lights- the boxer-knocked-'em-out lights, like we have in certain families. It's sad sometimes, but in my husband's family it can be pretty funny... For instance, we had a nice party going on at my sister-in-law's house, and we even played this fun couple game where questions are asked and one partner from each couple has to write down the answers. When asking the questions for a second time, the partner that didn't write anything has to answer, and we see how well the couple knows each other by the answers they give! So, it was alot of fun, until.... the second time around... One wife got mad at her husband cuz he didn't want to write (personally, I think he doesn't know how to write English, and was embarrassed), another couple just had a fight and didn't want to think about the other, another couple was too tired... All of a sudden, there were lights flashing really bright all around the table....

Ouch...

Well, as I said, Channukah is a 'Festival of Lights', I just didn't say they all had to be the nice cozy bright lights we think of....

2 comments:

Pragmatician said...

I love Channukah as well.
And this game you mentioned has caused too many (albeit small) shalom bayis problems.
I used to like it but now I rather play monopoly!

Pragmatician said...
This comment has been removed by the author.